-review- Three Dark Crowns by Kendare Blake



-He wonders if this is the queen who everyone in Rolanth sees. If all the rumors have been untrue... If that is so, then she is his and his alone.-


This is the first time I've ever started and finished a book like this. 
Not because I don't read Fantasy often, alas I didn't until just recently, but it has more to do with the way it's written. The voice. The English. The way the characters "speak" and "think." 

I'm not fond of old English though trust me this isn't old English. I'm just not good with certain ways that English was spoken a few decades ago. And that's how I felt this book was written and that's why I struggled at the beginning. 

But
Guys

GUYS

I'm so glad I pushed through. 

And then... it didn't take me long... not long at all, to love it. To understand it and to crave it! 
I've only ever read one other book by Kendare Blake but it is so very different from this you'd think the books are from completely different authors. 

I loved Fennbirn and all it's secret places. From the Black Cottage to Indrid Down and from Wolf Spring to Rolanth with some valley and lake thrown in between. 

I loved Katherine and her quiet ways. I loved her so much I cheered for her near the end. 
I loved Arisnoe and her fierce ways. (Although I loved her less by the end of the book lol.)
I loved Mirabella and her pure ways. I loved her so much I cried for her near the end. 

I loved them all and their guardians. 


"I want revenge." ––– "And then I want my crown."


One cannot simply read this and just dive into their normal lives soon after. I want to linger in this world of betrayal and poisons and fire and naturalists, the islanders weird ways and the goddess that looks over them all. 

I want to see how powerful each one becomes or how powerless. Depends ;)

But I'm just so happy I read this one now, so close to the sequel's release date. 


"It does not matter," he says. "It is our lot. To drive each other mad with jealousy. You will kiss a suitor, and I will kiss a priestess, and it will make your fire for me burn even higher."



10/5 special rating.


10(special rating for over-the-top-I'll-never-get-over-this book) =
I cried for things I didn't know possible I was capable of.






Comments