-Review- Unravel Me by Tahereh Mafi


Goodreads Shortie:

In this exhilarating sequel to Shatter Me, Juliette has to make life-changing decisions between what she wants and what she thinks is right. Decisions that might involve choosing between her heart—and Adam's life.

I have kind of went off track with my book reviewing these past 2 months, I haven't been able to write a single word as to what I've thought of the masterpieces I've read but I'm trying here.

My Thoughts?

I think the worst part is knowing how beautiful this book is and not having enough words in my brain to describe it.

I thought I loved Shatter Me and, in a way, I loved and loved and loved it. It was so ME. It was definitely a ME book. But Unravel Me? I don't think life can get any better than this book.

This book had all I wanted it to have, was all I wanted it to be, and inspired in me all the feelings I wanted it to inspire AND more.

The characters, again, were relatable, lovable AND hate-able as well. Because while I fell in love with one character I NEVER thought possible to fall for (thanks to Destroy Me) I also grew to hate some new ones.

Juliette wasn't as broken but was. See? This is where the perfection comes. How is it that one person can be so broken as Juliette is, to be so battered by a life she didn't choose, to be seen as an evil being for doing something she never meant to do and after all this still be more human than all the people left in the world of Shatter Me?

I can't even begin to comprehend the talent that author Tahereh Mafi has.

She wrote Adam, she invented him, she ruined me for any other Adams' I might encounter in my life.
She wrote Warner, an evil boy/man I hated with all my heart from the very first time I read about him but that now I've grown to love much more than how I hated him.
She wrote about a power turned curse.
She wrote about a curse turned power.
She wrote about a bird, a bird that would fly. A bird that made ME believe.
She wrote about words being weapons.
About beautiful eyes. So beautiful you can get lost in them and still feel at home.
She wrote about a bad boy so beautiful I wanted to cry.
She made me cry for every second Juliette was left without any human contact.
She wrote about Kenji. A Kenji so incredible I didn't know why all the hurt and pain and sadness was gone from the world just for him being in it.
She wrote about a boy and a dog and a smile.

When I was a kid I dreamed of becoming a doctor, I always said I wanted to do that. To be that.
When I graduated high school I went off to med school.
A little over a year afterwards I dropped out of it. I've been working ever since, on and off on and off on and off...
Now I am a 23 year-old woman and all I want to do is write as beautifully and as preciously as I can.
Having Tahereh Mafi's books beside me at all times will be a welcome inspiration.

When you get passages like this one,

The guilt is growing inside of me in stacks, settling on my bones, snapping me in half. It's a cable twisted around my neck, a caterpillar crawling across my stomach. It's the night and midnight and the twilight of indecision. It's too many secrets I no longer contain.

And when a total stranger can easily describe who you were once upon a time, like this,

You wake up in the morning and wonder who you are. You fail to fall asleep at night and tremble in your skin. You doubt you doubt you doubt
do I
don't I
should I
why won't I

And when a single line, a single -terrifying but beautiful in it's own way- line can take your breath away... Say like,

My mouth tastes like death.

Well, let me just tell you.
My copy of Unravel Me is so highlighted, so filled with many words I wrote in between the words written by the superwriter that author Tahereh Mafi is, so full of little hearts and little clouds and tons of exclamation points that weren't supposed to be there because I was the one who put them there, who drew them on it...

I now need another copy of this book, I need another heart so I can move on with my life and be alive when the third book comes out.

The setting, as you can see from what I thought of the whole book, was perfectly described and never overdone. I could easily picture everything the author described.
The plot was there, everywhere, in every turned page, in every letter and gasp in between sentences and chapters.

And my weaknesses...

The tittle was IN the book as much as it was ON it. And it's brought to the reader's attention sometimes very subtly, others it was plain right there BOOM! In your face and others you had to look for it you had to be paying attention. A LOT.

Most of you know how I feel about book covers being changed in the middle of a series that still isn't complete. And I own the first edition of Shatter Me and the copy of Unravel Me with the newly done covers.
Don't get me wrong, the new covers are beautiful if it weren't for the fact that they all feature the same eye. I love the new cover for Shatter Me, I supported and shared when it was announced, what I didn't like is how they've used the same eye for the rest of the series... So while the bird might still be in there, I just don't see how the book cover relates to anything in the book.

So the whole series would be PERFECTION incarnate for me if it weren't for the book covers. And for that I am truly and terribly sorry because I am a cover lover, a person who doesn't buy a book if she doesn't like the cover and I'm definitely a person who likes all her book covers (in a series) to match.

I give this book,

10special-fotitos(special rating for over-the-top-I'll-never-get-over-this book) =
I cried for things I didn't know possible I was capable of.

Comments

  1. Love this review!! I really need to read this soon as I loved book 1 :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahh!! Thanks so much!!!
      And you definitely do! This book was amazing!!!!!!! :D

      Hope you get to read it sooner rather than later ;)

      Delete

Post a Comment

I looove comments guys, LOOOONG awesome fun comments ;)
BUT don't ever be mean, disrespectful with neither authors, me, or each other ;)
That said...I do appreciate awards but I don't have the time to answer and do what I have to do to accept and pass on said award but THANK YOU SO MUCH for thinking of me that means TONS